Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Abraham Lincoln?

I guess I'm confused. Maybe I'm not liberal enough to see it or maybe I don't have enough imagination (although I'm pretty overcompensated in that department).

What is with this new comparison from the pres. elect to Pres. Lincoln? I know that Lincoln fought for freedom from slavery, but the issues he faced were so much different than the ones today. I see no similarities....unless they are trying to increase public opinion by comparing him to one of the most loved pres's in history. I loved Lincoln. I studied Lincoln. He was a man full of wisdom....I have not seen any such wisdom from the new guy. Compassion.....still waits to be seen. Insight? On hold.. Leadership...waiting for fullfilment.. Fairness.. unknown...(my mind comes back to unborn babies on that one..)

I even saw one of the larger magazines say that he was "channeling Lincoln". Give me a blinking break. This man, who I pray for daily, because he will be our new leader HAS to earn people's respect on his own and not by standing on the memory of another man. This is the responsibility of each and every person. I am not known for the beliefs of my many times great grandfather. I would love to be a person like Corrie Ten Boom was, but I cannot just say...since I want to be loved like she was, I will compare myself to her and you should just think of my as the "new her".

This new administration will stand on it's own, fall on it's own, prosper on it's own or fail on it's own. There can be no comparison to any other...especially since he hasn't even taken the office yet. What a hoot. People are already deciding how he will lead and what his reputation will be and he doesn't even have the job yet. My opinion: Any one can read a recipe, but baking the cake can go wrong in so many ways. It all depends on too many factors. If a cake is like that, think how different it will be running a country. Now his "feast" after taking office is based on Lincoln's favorite foods....Give me a break! Let the man be his own man, he's not Lincoln, he never will be. Let's just hope that he can be the best man that "he" can be. Our country depends on it.

No comments: