Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Water chestnuts wrapped in bacon

1 lb. bacon
2 cans whole water chestnuts
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. brown sugar

Cut bacon in thirds.

Wrap a strip of bacon around a water chestnut and poke a flat toothpick through the bacon and water chestnut.

Continue wrapping water chestnuts with bacon until finished. Place each water chestnut that has been wrapped on broiler pan.

Broil until bacon is crisp.

At this point you have 2 choices: You can just dip them in a sauce made of the wet ingredients, or you can put them in a crock pot and cover them with the sauce and keep them warm. **I use the crock pot method.

I have also marinated them first in the stuff and then broiled them. They get caramelized that way in the oven.

The next time I try this, I'm going to cut wide layers of onion and cook them in the microwave in a little water until they are limp and pliable. Then I'm going to wrap a strip of onion (cut to size) inside the bacon before broiling. I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: